View archival description

Fonds LPA - Library Planning Archive

Identity area

Reference code

GB GB0982 LPA

Title

Library Planning Archive

Date(s)

  • 1830-2000 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

4.9 cubic metres

Context area

Name of creator

Library Association (1877-2002)

Administrative history

The Library Association was formed in 1877 and it received a Royal Charter in 1898; the Royal Charter granted the power to awarded Chartered status to Association members. It became a registered Charity in 1963.

In 1986 the Charter was updated modernised, including the aim to "represent and act as the professional body for persons working or interested in library and information services.

The Welsh Library Association was a branch of the main UK body, unlike the Scottish Library Association which operated in a different legal and administrative context. Though the Scottish Association was formally affiliated with the UK organisation in 1931.

On 01 April 2002, the Library Association Merged with the Institute of Information Scientists to form the Charted Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP).

Name of creator

College of Librarianship Wales (CLW) (1964-1989)

Administrative history

The College of Librarianship Wales was established in 1964. Located at Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth, it was the first library school in Wales. CLW was therefore of great importance in training and developing the skills of the Welsh library community, especially as it offered Welsh medium modules. Yet from it's inception the college adopted an international outlook, and established a reputation for high quality teaching and research. CLW was also the first UK independent college of further education specialising in library science, and the first library school to offer residential accommodation. It's courses prepared students for Library Association examinations offered at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and the college consistently received a high number of applicants from the UK and abroad.

The college merged with the nearby University of Wales, Aberystwyth in 1989, becoming the Department of Information and Library Studies. It is still located on the original campus in Llanbadarn Fawr.

Name of creator

Aberystwyth University - Information Services, Thomas Parry Library (1970-[ongoing])

Administrative history

The library opened in June 1970, was designed by G. R. Bruce and cost £135,000 to build. It originally served the needs of the College of Librarianship Wales (CLW), but it became part of the Universities’ Library service when CLW merged with the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth.

In 1995 (the same year that the University library service was merged with the Computing and Audio-visual Units), the library was renamed the Thomas Parry Library after the scholar and former librarian of the National Library of Wales. The following year saw the library being extended and remodelled to accommodate the merger of the University and the Welsh Institute of Rural Studies.

Today the library largely serves the needs of the Department of Information Studies (DIS) and the Institute of Biological and Environmental Sciences (IBERS).

Archival history

The archive contains material from two different provenances. A large group of material was donated to the University by the Library Association. Material collected separately by the staff of the College of Librarianship Wales and the Thomas Parry Library has since been added to this original donation. It is now virtually impossible to separate these two groups, and so they have been described together as the Library Planning Archive.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The archive contains information on the planning and building of libraries throughout the United Kingdom, and in various countries within Europe; North America; South America; Australasia; Africa and Asia. These vary from branch libraries serving small localities, to national libraries, such as the Library of Congress and the British Library. The material includes a large group of architectural plans and drawings of library buildings; newspaper cuttings regarding library buildings, taken from local newspapers and specialist librarianship and architectural journals; local government papers concerning the building of new libraries, including proposal documents, minutes of meetings and work schedules; photographs and slides, including series of exhibition photographs produced by the Library Association; building report forms circulated by the Library Association and the College of Librarianship Wales, and completed by the staff of new libraries; statistical information; correspondence between library staff and the Library Association, and various pamphlets and guides to libraries.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

The papers may be consulted through application by e-mail to: archives@aber.ac.uk or by post to: Aberystwyth University, Archives, Information Services, Llandinam Building, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DB. Tel: 01970 628593.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • Afrikaans
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • English
  • Finnish
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Norwegian
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Swedish
  • Welsh

Script of material

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Basic finding aid available on request from Archives staff.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Notes area

Note

This archive is held at the Thomas Parry Library, Aberystwyth University.

Access points

Place access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Digital object metadata

Media type

Image

Mime-type

image/jpeg

Filesize

62.1 KiB

Uploaded

July 29, 2011 3:23 PM

Actions