View archival description

Fonds PYS - Aberystwyth University: Physics Society Archive

Identity area

Reference code

GB GB0982 PYS

Title

Aberystwyth University: Physics Society Archive

Date(s)

  • 1922-1984 (Creation)

Level of description

Fonds

Extent and medium

0.052 cubic metres

Context area

Name of creator

Aberystwyth University - Physics Society (1892-[ongoing])

Administrative history

The University of Wales, Aberystwyth Scientific Society was established in 1892. Ten years later, it was decided to form sectional societies, and the Natural History and Chemistry divisions appeared. In 1906, a similar Physical Section was established. The first meeting was held on 6 November that year, with a lecture by Professor Schott on 'Recent Work in Spectra'. The Scientific Society remained the co-ordinating body for the various sections for many years, and was officially recognised by the SRC in 1926.

In 1923, the Physical Society was renamed the Physical Club. More emphasis was placed upon social events, and the club began organising puzzle nights and social evenings as well as lectures. In 1935 its new informality was reflected in a change of name once again to the Physics Club. During the post-war years the club flourished. A departmental trip was introduced, along with an annual dinner and a club tie.

During the 1960s, various name changes occurred, including a return to the Physical Society. Sub-groups also branched out from the Society, with the formation of an Electronic-Physics Group and an Astronomy Society. But this placed a strain on funds, and difficulties were encountered in organising such a variety of lecture programmes. Therefore, in 1975, the Society became known as the Physics and Astronomy Society. In 1981, though, the society once again reverted to its original name, the Physical Society (Cymdeithas Ffisegol).

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The archive contains accounts, minute books and correspondence of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth Physics Society.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

The papers may be consulted through application by e-mail to: archives@aber.ac.uk or by post to: Aberystwyth University, Archives, Information Services, Llandinam Building, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DB. Tel: 01970 628593.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Basic finding aid available on request from Archives staff.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

The University of Wales, Aberystwyth Department of Physics Archive is also held by the University, along with the papers of two former Aberystwyth physicists, E J Williams and D A Richards.

Notes area

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Actions